One South, the Concept
(as told by Rick Jarvis, Founding Partner of One South Realty)
“In the early 2000’s, I kept running into who would eventually become my commercial partner at One South, Tom Rosman. Any time I went out looking for development opportunities or multi-family investments, he always seemed to know who might be willing to sell. As our paths continued to cross, it became clear that we both felt the development momentum growing and saw the world in similar ways.
“We quickly developed a relationship and collaborated on several sales. We both had a great deal of ambition and a mutual respect for each other’s work ethic.
The Reserve Condos
“In 2006, Tom called me about a potential development spot in Church Hill — a vacant old warehouse at the corner of 25th Street and E Franklin Street. We quickly found a team of developers that created what would become The Reserve, a 25 unit upscale condo project.
“I remember looking at Tom and wondering how the two of us, both working for extremely small brokerages and getting almost no support, were able to put together such a large and complex development deal. Where could we go that would allow us to work together at a brokerage where commercial, residential, and development expertise all lived under one roof?
“We quickly realized that the firm we wanted did not exist. We needed to create it ourselves and thus, One South was born.
The Vision for One South
“The One South of today still closely mirrors that original vision:
- We practice both residential & commercial real estate with a development-centric tilt
- We believe in the power of data and analysis to help guide our clients to the right decision
- We are progressive in our approach, adopting the best practices across all industries, not just real estate
- We focus on design-forward marketing to create the best print and web pieces in our marketplace
- We share our knowledge with the public to generate both understanding and engagement
So What’s Next?
“By Richmond brokerage standards, we are still young, so we continue to gain capability and strength as we learn and develop each year.
“We are really just hitting our stride. Our internal idea board is (quite literally) full of some really great ideas that we can’t wait to implement. I’m extremely optimistic about where we’re headed.”